Sunday, June 19, 2016

Quote of the day

"I had to have an Antarctic 'first'. You know what I did? In four layers of clothing - and a scientifically engineered sleeping bag - I listened to Raw Power in its entirety. There is no way that someone has sat in Antarctica and listened to Raw Power in sequence. I did that and the next morning I rang Iggy Pop's manager and said, 'Will you please tell the band - if you choose to do so - that Raw Power was heard at the bottom of a sleeping bag in Antarctica. Gentoo penguins in my right channel and a glacier in front of me.' And he wrote back and said, 'I will pass that onto the band.'"

The incomparable Henry Rollins tells the Quietus' Harry Sword about his globetrotting adventures, which have also taken him to those popular tourist destinations Iran, Pakistan and North Korea. In the course of the interview, Rollins also discusses how he got into performing spoken word shows, his love for Ty Segall, his horror film role as a centuries-old man who gets bored with eternal life, and why there's no chance of him rejoining the reunited Black Flag: "I don't wanna be some weird old dude on stage wheezing through the hits."

Incidentally, here he is deconstructing the Dr Seuss book Oh The Places You'll Go. Needless to say, he's not a fan.

No comments: