Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Is this thing on?

Oh ATP, you do tempt me so. No sooner had I faced up to the reality of a first ATP-free year since 2008 (having been less than inspired by the bill The National are assembling) than you go and announce that house band Shellac Of North America will be curating an alternative pre-Christmas bash. Albini's mob have had the honour before, back in 2002, and it's the quality of that bill - which included Godspeed! You Black Emperor and Low - that has me salivating at the prospect.

The festival is returning to its old stomping ground of Camber Sands, where I first saw Shellac in 2000, when they were invited to play by Mogwai. Minehead is being abandoned, it seems - still, I'm sure that the locals will be glad not to have scruffy oiks clearing the shelves of their Tesco of pizzas and cheap vodka, and that, in the absence of festival news, there will be plenty of exciting stories about obese hedgehogs to fill the local papers.

(Thanks to Phill for the link.)

2 comments:

skif said...

So tell me about Camber Sands as an ATP venue. Not yet been there myself but will be there for Shellac's business.

Ben said...

Can't remember that much about it, to be honest. Much like Minehead, though, as far as I can recall. The second stage was downstairs, and the upstairs room was rectangular but oriented the opposite way to Minehead's Centre Stage (I think). Within easy reach of the sea - we actually went down to the beach for a bit one of the mornings, and bumped into John Peel on the way back.