Friday, June 01, 2012

Feel good hits of the 1st June

It's been a while...

1. 'Headin' For The Top Now' - Spiritualized
2. 'Have You Ever Heard A Digital Accordion?' - The Lovely Eggs
3. 'Load Your Eyes' - I Break Horses
4. 'I'm Not Stupid' - Cat's Eyes
5. 'Irene' - Beach House
6. 'Postcard From 1952' - Explosions In The Sky
7. 'Microcastle' - Deerhunter
8. 'Lungs Quicken' - Lanterns On The Lake
9. 'Goodbye' - Best Coast
10. 'Ode To Sad Disco' - The Mark Lanegan Band

Notes:

1. Far from convinced by Sweet Heart, Sweet Light thus far - there are at least a couple of drab Pierce-on-autopilot songs - but this is a corker and something that could appear on Pure Phase without seeming too out of place.

2. Should've known that neither Lovely Eggs album would come close to capturing their live shows, but you've got to love this for its rhymes and doomy prophesy of divine justice.

3. I Break Horses may now be the band I'm most looking forward to seeing at Primavera next weekend -  Hearts is wonderful. Spiritualized, Beach House and Explosions In The Sky are also on the bill - hence recent listening habits.

5. I can sense that Bloom will sweep me off my feet in the same way that Teen Dream did, and closer 'Irene' is arguably even more meltingly gorgeous than anything they've done before.

10. Mark Lanegan goes electro. And yes, it really works.

1 comment:

skif said...

Took a couple of spins, but I'm very fond of Bloom. Many reviews have said variations of "it's just more of the same". In which case, that suits me.

Very good in Brighton a fortnight ago too.